Vougeot Premier Cru Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot

vougeot-premier-cru-clos-blanc-2014

Parcelle(s)

Le Grand Carré de la Vigne Blanche
Geographical situation: parcel on slight slope.
Surface: 1,4069 ha
Exposure: East-facing.
Plantings: 1983-84, 1988-89, 1991-92.

Le Haut de la Vigne Blanche (la plante)
Geographical situation: parcel on slight slope.
Surface: 0,5552 ha
Exposure: East-facing.
Plantings: 1995-96.

Le Clos Blanc, a mythical, mystical vineyard, is adjacent to the Château du Clos de Vougeot. This golden triangle, surrounded on all sides by great reds, first offered its pure, golden sacrament to its spiritual fathers, the first monks of Cîteaux, in 1110. Known as “The White Vineyard”, it is like a diamond set in the centre of rubies.

Vougeot-1er-cru

Vines

Geographical situation: The Vougeot appellation covers 68 hectares, 51 of which are taken up by the Clos de Vougeot. Nestled alongside a few climats, Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot is just in front of the château, below the western half of the Clos de Vougeot’s north wall. The vineyard’s neighbours are Musigny and Les Amoureuses located in Chambolle-Musigny.
Grape variety
: 95 % Chardonnay,  4 % Pinot Gris and 1 % Pinot Blanc.
Soil and subsoil: very calcareous (white earth), probably silty clay subsoil. Ideal soil for Chardonnay. GEST* compost.
Planting density: 10 000 vines / ha
Total surface : 2,28 ha
Yield: 51,97 hl / ha
Rootstock: 15 % of massal selection and 85 % of clones.
Pest management since 1992
Organic agriculture: since 1998. Received official approval in 1999
Bio-dynamic agriculture since the 2001 campaign.
Horse ploughing

History

As old as the Clos de Vougeot, Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot was Cîteaux Abbey’s song of praise. The monks planted the first vines nine centuries ago, and the white wine pressed from the golden grapes filled the abbey-church’s cruets for almost 700 years. Such precious drops of gold, blinding and rare, are like an island of Chardonnay in an ocean of Pinot Noir... A single violin at the heart of an orchestra.

Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot used to be known as the Petit Clos Blanc de Cîteaux, or simply Vougeot’s white vineyard. Like the Clos de Vougeot, it was founded by the monks of Cîteaux, which was constructed on the nearby plain in 1098. Saint Bernard was almost certainly present at the first harvests in Vougeot, which date back to 1110.

This vineyard has always been planted with white grapes, a tradition started when the Cîteaux monks planted the forerunners of today’s Chardonnay to produce a white wine for their sacrament.

This walled vineyard is special for another very rare reason. Despite the French Revolution in 1789 when national property was sold off, Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot remained a monopole, an undivided property. Nurtured by Jules Ouvrard then Jules Régnier in the 19th Century, it belonged to L’Héritier-Guyot in the 20th Century and now forms a part of the Domaine de la Vougeraie, sole owner of the monopole.


Website conception