This is one of the oldest climats in the Côte de Nuits, dating back to the 8th or 9th century. Musinus was a Gallo-Roman settlement, probably named after its founder; over the centuries the name evolved to Musigné, Mussigny and finally Musigny. When the monks of the Cîteaux Abbey founded the Clos de Vougeot in 1110, the upper part of the hill was already developed, and they created their “square garden” in the shadow of Musigny.
Several members of the family which owned much of the vineyard in the 14th century served as chamberlains to the Grand Dukes of Burgundy, and one was Governor of the Duchy in 1356. The family later died out, but this Grand Cru remained... .
Musigny has never been an enclosure, a single property. Indeed, the vineyard is highly sought-after and has been divided into numerous small plots since the middle ages. In the 17th and 18th centuries the owners included the Fathers of the Oratory at
A lane runs through the climat from east to west, and in the past the wine bore two names, Grand Musigny and Petit Musigny, vying with each other for excellence. Under the AOC system, set up by decree in 1936, Musigny is now a single appellation.